How well do you make transfers from one place to another in your home and the community? To gauge mobility, observe one’s ability to:
- Get into and out of bed, a chair, a car, and a wheelchair;
- Move to new location by walking, using a cane or walker, or wheelchair; and
- Climb stairs and step on or off a curb or other elevated surface(s).
A lack of mobility may result from:
- Arthritis, tendonitis, or leg injuries;
- Nervous system disorders including stroke and cerebral palsy;
- Medications and inner ear infections that may impact balance; and
- Decreasing physical strength and muscle atrophy.